Travel Savings Alerts Newsletter, May 2012 Issue
P.O. Box 91033
Columbus OH 43209
ISSN: 1542-801X, Copyright 2012
All Rights Reserved.
Editor: Nicki Chodnoff
If your email reader cannot read HTML, please go to On The Go
Publishing to view this newsletter.
Like this newsletter? Send it to a friend! Add
our newsletter email address to your `friends` or whitelist address
book so your sp*m filter won't block or bounce this newsletter. Carats
(^) and other symbols are inserted to disguise some words so they wont
trigger sp*am filters.
Neptune Fountain, Gdansk, Poland
Up to 50% Off with Club Med "Global Escapes"
|BOOK BY MAY 7, 2012 - - Club Med, with more than 80 all-inclusive resorts worldwide, offers savings with Club Med Global Escapes.
This limited time offer allows you to discover one of Club Med's international resorts as more than 40 worldwide Club Med resorts are on sale with savings of up to 50 percent. Global Escapes must be booked by May 7, 2012, for travel through Aug. 9, 2012.
You can visit the newly renovated Club Med Phuket in Thailand with the Global Escapes offer. Located on the beach of Kata Bay, the Phuket resort offers excursions from eco-adventures in tropical forests and elephant safaris to visits to the Phi Phi Islands.
Club Med resorts provide family getaways with supervised children's programs and activities for little ones from four months to 17 years old. Enriching activities range from flying trapeze/circus school and sports to art instruction and cooking lessons.
Whether you travel with your family or as a couple, a Club Med all-inclusive escape includes gourmet dining throughout the day and a full open bar with premium alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Each Club Med resort is infused with the local culture with every resort's design, cuisine and ambiance indigenous to its surroundings.
Club Med or 800-ClubMed.
Summer Deals in Myrtle Beach, SC
|Make it a summer to remember and enjoy the surf and sand of Myrtle Beach's 60 miles of coastline, family attractions and Carolina coastal cuisine.
Summer deals offer discounted room rates, free nights or all-access shopping passes. Offers are not valid for existing reservations.
Here are few summer deals
Avista Resort, 877/907-7870: Rock Around The Clock package includes daily breakfast, two tickets to "Rock Around the Clock" with a two-night stay for two people in a one-bedroom, ocean-view condo. This offer, based on two adults, is valid June 1 through Sep. 1, 2012, and rates start at $342. Discount must be confirmed when booking. Taxes, resort and processing fees additional.
Beach Cove Resort, 800/704-3042: Summer $mart Rate$ offer an oceanfront suite and breakfast for two. You also receive a Vacation Member Benefits card with offers to local restaurants, shopping and entertainment attractions. Offer valid May 28 through Sep. 9, 2012, and rates start at $115.
Cabana Shores, 800/277-7562: Use promo code "Summ" to book a side-view suite with the Summer Dreams package. The suite accommodates two to four guests and the offer is valid June 1 through Aug. 31, 2012. Rates start at $108 with blackout dates July 1 to 7.
Caribbean Resort and Villas, 888/482-7061: 20 percent off and free tickets to attractions with the Summer Adventure package. The package includes four free tickets for a four-night stay and eight free tickets for a seven-night stay. This offer is valid June 1 through Aug. 31, 2012, and rates start at $129.
Elliott Beach Rentals, 888/669-7853: 20 percent off a week-long stay with the Super Summer Special which comes with an Elliott Rewards Card for discounts at more than 150 local businesses. This offer is valid June 1 through Aug. 31, 2012, and rates start at $600 per week.
Hotel BLUE, 800/625-1329: Summer Sizzler has June rates from $79 per night and you receive a Vacation Member Benefits card with offers to local restaurants, shopping and entertainment attractions.
Landmark Resort, 888) 513-6028 or visit www.landmarkresort.com: Suite Summer Savings with June rates from $82 per night and July rates from $114 per night. The resort offers 17 water attractions, a nine-hole mini golf course, exercise facility, and free airport shuttle.
Ocean Creek Resort, 866/849-1148: Summer Beach Blast special at the 57-acre resort includes breakfast for two and a Vacation Member Benefits card with offers to local restaurants, shopping and attractions. This offer is valid May 28 through Sep. 9, 2012, and rates start at $72 when you stay three nights or longer.
Sea Watch Resort, 888/485-4939: Freebie Deals, Free Nights offers seven nights for the price of five in select accommodations plus a Vacation Member Benefits card with offers to local restaurants, shopping and attractions. This offer is valid May 28 through Sep. 9, 2012, and rates start at $103.
The Reef Resort, 800/845-1212: five nights for the price of four, valid June 1 through Aug. 31, 2012. Rates start at $129.
Myrtle Beach summer deals or 888/Myrtle-1.
Protect Your Identity During Vacation
|As families pack up for a vacation, everyone knows to take sunscreen to protect against sunburn. But it's just as important to take steps to protect against identity theft.
Identity theft occurs when someone obtains your personal information such as your Social Security number and illegally uses it to open accounts or initiate transactions in your name. This can cause financial loss and damage your credit. The most common identity theft occurs when your wallet or purse is stolen, as the thief has access to check cards, IDs and other personal information to make transactions.
Identity theft does not have to be the demise of your vacation. Take a few precautions when traveling to protect you and your family from identity theft so you can enjoy your vacation without worry.
- Protect your Social Security number. Don't carry your card with you. If asked for your number, ask why the information is needed.
- Never leave your personal documents unsecured in a hotel room. This includes statements, checks and legal papers. Many hotels offer a security box in each room. This rule is especially important in foreign countries.
- Carry the minimum. You do not need to travel with every piece of personal information you own. Only carry necessary credit cards and documents.
- Beware of your surroundings. When accessing an ATM or using your PIN, cover your hand when typing in codes.
- Don't check-in personal information. At airports, never place personal documents in checked luggage. Once it is checked-in, it is out of your control and sight.
- Use security measures when carrying money. Reduce the risk of personal information loss and identity theft by using travel accessories such as security money belts, security travel purse, security travel bags and money clips.
Click here for more information on how to protect your identity while traveling.
International Paid Work Experience Program
|In partnership with Tourism Queensland, the Alliance Abroad Group (AAG), a 20-year-old cultural exchange organization, expands its service offerings to the South Pacific with a Work Experience Program to Australia. American students and young professionals have an opportunity for a cultural exchange to gain paid work experience on the beaches of the Great Barrier Reef.
This first-of-its-kind program guarantees a job placement in advance of travels, travel insurance and assistance with visa paperwork, transportation and in-country needs while abroad. These components provide ease of mind as a job and wages are secured before departure in addition to on-the-ground support throughout your stay. AAG recruits and pre-screens potential candidates nationwide and matches them to appropriate tourism and hospitality employers to ensure employment expectations are met on both sides - employer and employee.
One of the many participating employers in AAG's Work Experience Australia program is Hamilton Island's Qualia Resort. When not gaining professional experience with international clientele at four-and five-star resorts, students spend time experiencing the beauty and wonder that the Great Barrier Reef offers. Additionally, the tax refund students earn will likely provide enough money for the program fee and airfare to Australia.
Alliance Abroad Group
Taiwan’s interlocking public transportation system throughout the island helps preserve its natural beauty and attract eco-minded locals and international tourists.
Since the Taiwan Tourism Bureau launched the Taiwan Tourist Shuttle service program, locals and global travelers have a safe, convenient and economical way to travel to popular spots and hidden gems on the island.
The Taiwan Tourist Shuttle service offers many inexpensive day trip packages including an excursion to Taiwan’s alpine Sun Moon Lake. For this lake trip, transportation packages start from $11 and include a cable-car ride, a boat tour, and electric-scooter rental.
Since the launch of the Taiwan Tourist Shuttle service, locals and global travelers have enjoyed this convenient, cost-effective and environmental friendly way to travel without a car. The comprehensive Tourist Shuttle service program includes cycling routes, bus stations, train stations, and high speed rail systems.
Taiwan Tourist Shuttle.
A Belize vacation in more affordable with new discounts for Chaa Creek’s all-inclusive Belize vacation packages.
Families, honeymooners and people looking for a rainforest adventure can benefit from the reduced rates.
The Lodge at Chaa Creek, in Belize’s Cayo District, is Belize’s oldest eco resort and recent host to Great Britain’s Prince Harry. The lodge offers a wide range of vacation packages catering to interests such as Maya archaeology and culture, Belize inland adventure, rainforest and Caribbean island combinations and romance including honeymoons and weddings.
Chaa Creek is accepting bookings that offer a 20 percent discount on all rooms through May 31 2012, and 10 percent off rooms during July.
Select Belize all-inclusive vacation packages, including the Chaa Creek Expedition package, the Honeymoon Vacation package and the Family Adventure package offer a 10 percent discount through May 31, 2012, and during July.
The Lodge at Chaa Creek is within a private 365 acre nature reserve with abundant Belizean flora and fauna and more than 70 Maya archaeological sites and the ancient temple of Tunichilen. The cottage style rooms feature thatched roofs, as do the restaurant and lounge. The eco resort includes the Natural History Centre, Butterfly Farm, spa, conference center, pool, stables, canoes and miles of jungle trails for hiking, bushwalking, horseback and mountain bike riding and ancient Maya site exploration.
You can chose from activities or guided and self-guided nature walks, bird watching, canoe trips down the Macal River or swing in a hammock and relax in a pristine forest.
The Lodge at Chaa Creek or 877/709-8708.
Experience the communities of Lakeview, Wrigleyville and Boystown like an insider this summer when a new “InstaGreeter” neighborhood location opens May 26 at the Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted. This free visitor service offered by the Chicago Greeter program at the Chicago Office of Tourism and Culture (COTC) provides one-hour guided walks led by friendly, knowledgeable locals.
InstaGreeter returns to the Pilsen neighborhood at the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th Street; to Old Town at The Second City, 1616 N. Wells Street; and to Hyde Park, departing from a new location: Smart Museum of Art, 5550 S. Greenwood Avenue. Neighborhood locations are open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on alternating Saturdays May 26 to Oct. 6, 2012. Walks are given on a first-come, first-served basis and are limited to six people or less with no pre-registration required.
The neighborhood InstaGreeter locations are an offshoot of the year-round Loop InstaGreeter service, where you can see the downtown area on a one-hour guided walk with a volunteer Greeter. Located at the Chicago Cultural Center, 77 E. Randolph Street, Loop InstaGreeter is available on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Also downtown, COTC offers a summer-only tour of Millennium Park, leaving from the Millennium Park Welcome Center, 201 E. Randolph Street, daily at 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., May 25 to Oct. 8, 2012, and a seasonal Magnificent Mile InstaGreeter at the Water Works Visitor Information Center, 163 E. Pearson Street, during the holiday season. Magnificent Mile InstaGreeter provides free, one-hour walks of N. Michigan Avenue and surrounding areas.
The year-round Chicago Greeter service, where registration is required, provides an opportunity to see Chicago with local residents on 2-to-4-hour visits of the city. Groups of up to six people can pre-register and choose a neighborhood or interest area to explore such as architecture, history or ethnic Chicago. The program offers free visits in 10 languages in 26 neighborhoods and 40 interest areas.
Chicago Greeter programs
GOOD THROUGH May 24 - - Spring in Yellowstone National Park this year means a discounted price on Frontier Cabins at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins. Concessioner Xanterra Parks & Resorts reduced the rate on Frontier Cabins to $99 through May 24, 2012. The Lake Yellowstone Hotel opens for the summer season May 11, 2012.
Built in the 1920s, all of the Frontier Cabins have been renovated within the last few years. All cabins include two double beds and a private bathroom with a shower. The cabins are normally priced at $135 per night.
The cabin discount is in advance of the park’s busiest months of June, July and August and is a good choice if you prefer to visit the park when there are fewer visitors.
Springtime in Yellowstone is a popular time for wildlife viewing because it is when newborn elk and bison calves, wolf pups, bear cubs and other animals make their debuts.
Frontier Cabins reservations and information or 866/439-7375.
Sure Aspen and Snowmass are the playground for the well-heeled, glitzy and glamorous set, but everyday people can have fun here without spending big bucks.
Aspen/Snowmass offer activities, amenities and experiences free to the public. Here are 14 of them:
- First Tracks at Aspen/Snowmass - With your lift ticket or season pass, ski/ride the fresh powder or down the groomed ski runs for free with the pros of the Ski and Snowboard Schools of Aspen/Snowmass. The First Tracks program is offered every day at Aspen Mountain and every Wednesday and Friday at Snowmass. Sign-up is on a first-come basis at the Aspen Mountain Gondola Ticket office, 970-925-1220 or for Snowmass, 970-925-1220 x4560.
- Free Mountain Tours - Aspen/Snowmass Ambassadors provide free mountain skiing tours twice daily on all four mountains. Tours depart from the on-mountain guest service centers at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. The ambassadors share knowledge on topics such as mountain history, nature and the surrounding area.
- Free Aspen Highlands Bowl Tours - 11 a.m. Wednesdays, weather and conditions permitting. Tours last about 90 minutes, as long as it takes for guests and ambassadors to hike up and ski or snowboard down. You need to be good on the snow, as the tour is for guests who are confident skiing or riding double black diamond terrain.
- Free Transportation - Free skier shuttle buses take you to, from and between all four mountains throughout the day. Shuttles to any of the four mountains arrive at shuttle stops every 15 minutes. All busses between Aspen and Snowmass are free no matter what time of day or night.
- Free Coffee & Sunscreen - At the base of all four mountains, free Green Mountain coffee is provided to skiers and snowboarders. On-mountain, free cider, sunscreen, and water are available near lift locations.
- Free Rental Gear Transfer to the Mountain of your Choice - If you rent skis or snowboards from Four Mountain Sports or D&E Ski and Snowboard shop, have your rental gear transferred between the four mountains free of charge. Four mountain Sports is at the base of Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk and Two Creeks/Snowmass, on the Snowmass Village Mall and across from the gondola in Aspen.
- Free Sing-a-Longs and Storytelling - Roast marshmallows, drink hot chocolate and enjoy a Colorado experience. Every Monday sing by the campfire or listen to tales of the old west at Storytelling by the Campfire on Wednesdays. Both are at the fire pit next to the Pokolodi Lodge in Snowmass, 4 to 5 p.m. throughout the winter.
- Free Concierge Service Advice - The Concierge Services Department will help you with free vacation advice for on and off the slopes. Before you arrive, call 800/525-6200 or 970/925-1220 for insider's advice and holiday planning assistance.
- Free Admission to the Aspen Art Museum - Need a dose of culture? Aspen Art Museum presents exhibitions with an emphasis on contemporary art. The museum houses rotating exhibitions and offers free admission every day.
- Free Skate - Hop on board the Rio Grande Skate Park. Kids can skate for free on more than 13,000 square feet of skate terrain as long as the skate park bowls aren't filled with snow, even in winter. Grab your skateboard and helmet and launch into the free public skate park in downtown Aspen. Features include a clover bowl, a pool structure with round side bowls and a square nine-foot deep vert bowl. The park is for all skill levels.
- Free Art Gallery Tour - Visit the town's 30 art galleries that display artists including Dale Chihuly, David LaChapelle, and Robert Mapplethorpe plus local artists.
- Free Guided Nature Walks - Led by naturalists from the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES) you can commune with nature. The free 45-minute walks meander along Richmond Ridge atop Aspen Mountain, and you learn about the native trees, birds and animals that thrive in the high alpine environment.
- Cutting Edge Events at Aspen/Snowmass - Free on-mountain events from the ESPN Winter X Games to Women's World Cup Slalom/Giant Slalom to the Colorado Freeride Series. Aspen/Snowmass offers events for all audiences. All events are free and the action spreads over all four mountains and highlights today's best athletes in the snow sports industry.
- Free Concerts - The free outdoor Bud Light Hi-Fi Concert Series is held once a month during key events and peak weekends throughout the season. Go here for a complete event listing.
Aspen Skiing Company operates the four mountains in the Aspen/Snowmass area - Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk plus the Ski & Snowboard Schools of Aspen/Snowmass. The area offers nightlife and off-slope activities as well.
Aspen/Snowmass is accessible by two airports in the mountains - Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE) three miles from Aspen and Eagle County Airport (EGE) 70 miles from Aspen.
Aspen/Snowmass or 800/525-6200.
Summer is more affordable as Greater Fort Lauderdale offers a $25 gift card, to offset rising gas prices when you book a minimum two-night hotel stay through Sep. 30, 2012 online or through Facebook.
To further enhance the stay, a free "Beach Starter Kit," including a beach towel, beach ball and flip flops, and Super Summer Savings with 2-for-1 specials at attractions throughout the destination is also included.
The 2-for-1 offers provide options to play, explore and relax from the ocean to the Everglades.
Super Summer Savings or at Facebook.
Insight Vacations has a new offer to help you get to Europe. You can save up to $700 on any air-inclusive escorted vacation to Europe (up to $500 land only) for travel through Oct. 25, 2012, when you book before June 28, 2012.
Booking and full payment for the entire vacation package must be made by June 28, 2012. This offer is valid for new bookings made through June 28, 2012. Travel must begin by Oct. 25, 2012 and offers are valid on any airline. Fuel surcharges, taxes and fees are included in quoted rate. Once payment is received, air tickets are non-refundable.
The offer does not apply to Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, Jordan, Israel, Select Choices, or any tours with trains or cruises.
Here’s what you can save.
- Up to $700 on Insight Gold Europe with air on any airline
- Up to $500 on Premium Europe with air on any airline
- Up to $500 on Insight Gold Europe land only
- Up to $300 on Premium Europe land only
Insight Vacations or 800/582-8380.
Destination Henderson, minutes from the Las Vegas Strip and McCarran International Airport, offers deals for its Friends & Family promotion. A selection of resorts and hotels offer discounted room rates, some from $59 per night, and other extra savings throughout the season.
Aston MonteLago Village Resort $82 per night Code: COH012, 866/564-4799. Choose from studios, one-, two- and three-bedroom condos with fully-equipped kitchens. Offer expires Aug. 30, 2012.
Best Western Plus Henderson $59 per night Code: Friends & Family, 702/564-9200. Free hot daily breakfast, internet and pet friendly.
Courtyard by Marriott 10% Discount Code: LCGA/B/C/D, 800/321-2211. Rooms feature bedding, functional work space and free high-speed internet access. Property offers an outdoor pool, Jacuzzi and fitness center.
Hampton Inn & Suites $89 per night Code: Friends & Family, 800/Hampton. Free breakfast, wireless internet, 24 hour business center, manager’s reception, pool and spa.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites $79 per night Code: Summer Rate, 800/315-2621. Free hot continental breakfast, 24-hour business center, manager's reception Tuesday through Thursday, and a gift bag upon check in.
Homewood Suites by Hilton 10% off rack rate with local ID Code: HEN, 800/CALL HOME.
Ravella, A Dolce Hotel & Resort - Second room 1/2 off Code: Ravella Family Escape, 800/265-3187. Free breakfast, in-room movie and $25 resort credit. Offer expires Aug. 31, 2012.
SpringHill Suites by Marriott $79 per night Code: SUM, 702/270-0995. Includes free hot breakfast daily, indoor pool, on-site laundry, fitness center and business center. Valid June 13 to Sep. 1, 2012.
Destination Henderson NV.
Surf Air, a new, all-you-can-fly membership-based airline, announced planned service to Palo Alto, Monterey, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, CA. Service is subject to receipt of regulatory approvals.
Surf Air is concentrating on frequent-flyers who represent 85 percent of the business travel industry. In 2011, flights between metropolitan Los Angeles and San Francisco included more than 20 million frequent travelers. Surf Air offers affordable pricing that does not compromise first-class service and comfort. It operates out of less congested regional airports using executive aircraft to make flying accessible and more convenient.
Surf Air is accepting membership applications and is signing on 500 Founding Members for its first launch servicing Palo Alto, Monterey, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. It is also wait-listing applications for subsequent launch markets around the U.S.
From $790 a month, Surf Air members will get unlimited flight benefits, on-site concierge service and first-class luxury on mid-sized executive aircraft. Surf Air offers members 30-second booking and cancellations, travel to and from uncongested regional airports, and an easy arrive-and-fly process with no hassle, no lines and no extra fees. In addition to the standard membership benefits, Surf Air Founding Members will receive unlimited free guest passes and access to exclusive events and offers. Founding Membership is a three-month, early adopter membership that initiates when Surf Air launches service this summer.
With Surf Air, you can arrive at your aircraft minutes before your flight, receive a welcome from the captain and concierge, and then are on your way to your destination.
These deals will appeal to families and couples looking for a Jamaica vacation value this summer. Receive 60 percent off at the all-inclusive Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort in Montego Bay. Plus kids 12 and under stay, play and eat free when sharing a room with two full paying adults. The special is valid for travel through June 30, 2012 and Aug. 19 through Dec. 21, 2012. Reservations must be made by May 30, 2012.
Travelers departing from Cincinnati or Nashville have air/land package deals from $799 per person including non-stop champagne flights on Sunwing Airlines and seven nights at the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa with its five pools and water park. The special is valid for selected travel dates May 26 through Oct. 21, 2012. Some mid-summer departure dates are priced higher. The package includes airfare, all-inclusive plan with garden view room and all taxes. Up to two kids 12 and under stay, play and eat for free when sharing a room with two full paying adults, and the child rate for the air and taxes is $428. Upgrade to an Ocean View room for $15 per person for the entire stay. Plus Vacation Express offers add-on fares from other U.S. cities.
The Gran Bahia Principe Resort, located in Jamaica's Runaway Bay area, offers a seven night all-inclusive package from $1049 per person including roundtrip Sunwing champagne service from Cincinnati or Nashville. The deal is valid for travel May 26 through Oct. 21, 2012. Add $30 for June 16, June 23 and June 30 departures from Cincinnati. Children 12 and under stay, play and eat free when in the same room with parents. The resort offers three pools, eight restaurants, seven bars and an onsite Jamaican-style shopping and entertainment village.
The Four Star Steal includes seven nights at a beachfront deluxe hotel and starts at $899 per person. The package includes roundtrip airfare on Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati or Nashville and seven nights at an all-inclusive resort with a guaranteed ocean view room. Vacation Express will assign your hotel 30 days prior to your departure. Week long departures are available May 26 to June 24, 2012. Add $30 for June 16 and June 23 departures from Cincinnati.
Vacation Express or 800/309-4717.
Whether you want to escape where the sun never sets or a city that never sleeps, the Millennium Hotels and Resorts’ summer packages will make summer vacations less expensive.
Millennium Alaskan Hotel Anchorage – The Alaskan Experience package is priced from $299 per room, per night based on double occupancy and is available May 15 to Sep. 15, 2012 and includes:
- Breakfast for two each morning
- Drinks for two in the Fancy Moose Lounge
- Free in-room Wi-Fi
- 25% discount on a float plane tour for two departing
- Free parking
- Turndown service
- Early check-in and late check-out available upon request
Millennium Broadway Hotel – Times Square, New York & Millennium UN Plaza Hotel – United Nations, New York. The New York Your Way package is priced from $185 at the Millennium Broadway and from $209 at the Millennium UN Plaza per room, per night based on a double occupancy. Available June 1 to Oct. 30, 2012, the package includes:
- Breakfast for two
- $10 off New York Water Taxi’s Hop-On/Hop-Off or Circle Line Downtown’s Statue Express Tours for up to four
- $15 off any Helicopter Flight Services tour for two
- $10 off Bike & Roll for a half day bike rental or a full day bike rental for two
The Family Fuel package at the Millennium Broadway Hotel and Millennium UN Plaza is priced from $235 at the Millennium Broadway and from $229 at the Millennium UN Plaza per room, per night based on a double occupancy. It is available through Sep. 31, 2012 and includes:
- Overnight accommodations
- $50 pre-paid gas gift card upon check in (one per stay)
- Free breakfast for two
Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago - The Millennium Loves Chicago package is priced from $215 per room, per night based on a double occupancy and is available through Aug.26, 2012. It includes:
- Two Chicago theme souvenir cups
- A $25 gift certificate to Lou Malnati’s pizzeria
- Two tickets to Chicago Trolley & Double Decker Tour
The Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel’s Take Me Out to the Ballgame package starts at $139 per room, per night based on a double occupancy, and is valid through Oct. 3, 2012. This package includes:
- Two bottles of water
- One bag of shelled peanuts to take to the game
- Two Chicago public transportation passes valid for one day
The Millennium Knickerbocker Runner’s Delight package starts at $145 per room, per night based on a double occupancy and is available through Oct. 8, 2012. It includes:
- Two bottles of Coconut Water
- One Clif Bar
- Assortment of fresh fruit
Millennium Bostonian Hotel - Boston Red Sox package starts from $549 per room, per night based on a double occupancy and is valid through Sep. 26, 2012. It includes
- Accommodations with step out balcony and views of Faneuil Hall
- Two centerfield bleacher tickets
- One Red Sox package welcome bag
- Two $25 breakfast vouchers to North 26 Restaurant and Bar
The Millennium Bostonian Festival of Savings package starts from $179 per room, per night based on a double occupancy and is valid year-round except Nov. 15 to Dec. 30, 2012. It includes:
- Accommodations with step out balcony and views of Faneuil Hall
- Breakfast for two at North 26 Restaurant
- A welcome bag and letter with additional offers
Millennium Hotels and Resorts or 866/866-8086.
More than 15,000 people have been killed in crashes involving passenger vehicles towing trailers since 1975. Lack of knowledge of correct towing techniques is a contributing factor. A recent study revealed that 71 percent of Americans who tow admitted to being only somewhat to not knowledgeable about proper towing practices and safety. The experts at AutoMD.com have put together their Top 10 Towing Tips to make sure you tow your recreational vehicles safely and avoid extra wear and tear on your towing vehicle.
This advice is general and intended to be a starting point about towing practices. Do not rely solely on this information as it may not be suitable for your automobile or situation. Consult your vehicle and trailer owner's manual before attempting to tow anything.
- Understanding Towing Capacity - Never exceed your vehicle's towing capacity. You may think that because you have a truck, you can tow a boat. But if the boat and trailer are heavier than your towing capacity, you can find yourself in deep water. If your tow load exceeds your car or truck's capacity, it can lead to significant mechanical issues and/or transmission damage. Plus, it can cause sway issues, which can have a devastating impact on others on the road. To find out what your car/truck's towing capacity is, consult your vehicle owner's manual. There are also public and private scale locations that can help you determine the weight of your trailer and cargo.
- Let's Get Hitched - A tow hitch attaches to the chassis of a car allowing it to connect to and tow a trailer or other vehicle. Buying the right hitch is crucial if your vehicle is not already equipped with a manufacturer's towing package. Your hitch must not only match your vehicle's towing capacity but must be the appropriate hitch for the load you are carrying: for instance, a weight-distributing hitch is appropriate for towing a heavier load (especially when the trailer and load weigh more than 50 percent of the vehicle's weight), and it can help reduce sway.
- Are All Brakes in Sync? - Make sure that the brakes and lights on your car or truck are in sync with the brakes and lights on your trailer. Your trailer brakes and brake lights should go on when your car/truck's brakes and brake lights go on. If your car/truck signals left, so should your trailer. Not only is this basic road safety, but having operable, in sync lights when towing is the law in many states. And many states require that a towed trailer weighing more than 1,500 pounds has its own brake system.
- Weight Distribution is Critical - Make sure your load is distributed appropriately for weight. Incorrect weight distribution can cause your trailer to flip with devastating consequences for you and others on the road. Load heavier cargo first, making sure you secure your item(s) with ropes or cords. Fill in extra spaces evenly, front to back, and side to side. By placing 60 percent of the cargo weight on the front half of the trailer, this helps properly distribute weight across the tow hitch and trailer. Take into account visibility: don't pile things so high that you obstruct the driver's view unless you have extended side-view mirrors. Always check to be sure you have unobstructed views before hitting the road.
- Perform a Maintenance Check on Your Vehicle - As with any road trip, make sure your car is in good condition before you head out. Towing can add extra stress to your vehicle, accelerating repair issues for vehicles that are not properly maintained. Check all fluid levels, get an oil change if needed, inspect the brakes, and make sure your tires have plenty of tread and are properly inflated. The more you can do to make sure your car is operating properly, the less likely you are to find yourself, and your trailer, on the side of the road.
- Do a Practice Run - Practice makes perfect. This is especially important if you are towing a trailer for the first time. Driving when hauling is a completely different experience, so practice accelerating and stopping, backing up, turning corners, and even parking before heading off on your road trip. If you can, practice in a large empty parking lot.
- Safety Checks - Plan to stop every 50 to 60 miles to check on your trailer and make sure the lights and brakes are working, the tires are inflated, and the load is secure. Sometimes loads can shift if they are not properly tied down. Also, under no circumstances should any passengers be riding in the trailer, even if it is a mobile home.
- Slow Down - Drive slower and give yourself ample distance for stopping when towing a trailer. If you are driving too fast, and need to stop suddenly, you can cause your vehicle and trailer to slide, skid, jackknife, or even flip over. Plus, driving slowly (while towing) can help alleviate stress on your vehicle.
- Towing Laws Vary from State to State - As you start your road trip, you may be crossing one, or multiple, states. You may find yourself subject to different towing laws from one state to another. For instance, towing height and width laws vary by state, as do speed limits and weight limits. Some states allow you to haul multiple trailers, while others don't. Do your research, look online and read up on towing laws for the states where you will be traveling.
- Carry Emergency Equipment - This is a great rule of thumb for any road trip – carry an emergency kit in case you breakdown or find yourself on the side of the road with a flat tire. Make sure your kit is well stocked with roadside flares and triangles, tire jack, jumper cables, even extra clothes, water and energy bars/snacks. You may be driving in remote areas, so make sure to carry a cell phone, and that it is adequately charged during your drive.
Sterling Resorts brings back its “Sterling Happy Hour” summer promotion with getaway packages and weekly savings of up to 25 percent.
This weekly offer is available to Sterling Resorts’ email subscribers, from May 4 through Aug. 31, 2012. Each Friday afternoon, Sterling will debut a deal available at one of its Gulf-front properties along Panama City Beach, Scenic 30-A and Destin, FL. You can call 866/613-7478 between 6 pm and 11pm EST to book your beach getaway.
Featured savings spotlight family-friendly retreats from beachfront cottages to high-rise condominiums overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Sterling Resorts’ amenities include full kitchens, washer and dryer, Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TVs and private balconies. On top of Sterling Happy Hour specials, you receive perks such as free DVD rentals, onsite check-in, Gilchrist & Soames bath amenities, coffee starter kits and discounts to local dining and shopping venues, area recreation and family attractions.
To receive the weekly Happy Hour alert, go to the Deals section and subscribe to Sterling’s email list. Or, become a fan on Facebook.
BOOK BY May 3, 2012 - - Funjet offers summer travel deals in Mexico, the Caribbean and Hawaii with specials such as reduced rates, kids stay free, unlimited golf, and resort credits.
And in Hawaii, you can save up to 30 percent off Dollar rentals, or receive an upgrade to a convertible from Alamo and National with the Funjet Hawaii car rental.
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa - All inclusive – One child age 12 and under stays free, up to 20 percent off or upgrade to a one bedroom suite from $17 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $95 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel May 15 to June 18, June 22 to July 1, Sep. 1 to Oct. 29, 2012.
Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort & Spa - All inclusive - Up to two kids ages 12 and under stay free, up to 25 percent off, upgrade to Silver Deluxe Gardenview from $7 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $70 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel Sep. 1 to Oct. 29, 2012.
Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Beach Resort - Up to two kids ages 12 and under stay free, unlimited golf, upgrade to Oceanview from $13 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $96 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through June 28, 2012.
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta - All suite, all inclusive - Up to $200 resort credit with four night or longer stay, upgrade to Jr. Suite Oceanview from $20 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $83 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through July 5, 2012.
Riu Sante Fe - All inclusive - Up to two kids ages 12 and under stay free, upgrade to partial Oceanview from $10 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $91 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through June 20, 2012.
Riu Montego Bay - All inclusive – 10 percent discount when booked with air, $35 spa credit for 80-minute or longer massage, upgrade to Gardenview from $9 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $120 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through June 20, 2012.
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Occidental Grand Punta Cana - All inclusive – One child 12 and under stays free, upgrade to the Grand Concierge Deluxe from $10 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $76 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through June 21, 2012.
Occidental Grand Aruba - All inclusive - One child 12 and under stays free, upgrade to the Deluxe Oceanview from $15 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $200 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through June 20, 2012.
Oahu - Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa - Free 1000 Gold Passport points, upgrade to the Mountain Awaken with Breakfast for two from $10 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $163 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through Nov. 22, 2012.
Maui - Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa - Breakfast for two, free 1000 Gold Passport points, upgrade to the partial Ocean from $20 per person, per night. Hotel rates are $171 per person, per night based on three nights. Rate valid for travel through June 14, 2012.
Funjet or 800/FUNJET-1.
Last Bottle Wines, the Napa Valley-based daily purveyor of fine wine, offers an all-expense paid Napa Valley getaway to celebrate its one-year anniversary. The company opened on May 12, 2011.
The idea for the sweepstakes idea was born out of the fact that there is no greater concentration of fine wine in America than in Napa Valley. As Wall Street is to finance, Madison Avenue is to marketing, Napa Valley is to wine.
The "Voyage to the Vines" Sweepstakes runs until May 12, 2012. Entries are limited to one per person. Fill in an entry form on the website at www.lastbottlewines.com. No purchase or payment is required to enter or win. On May 12, 2012, one name (email address) will be randomly chosen. The winning wine enthusiast will receive:
Roundtrip airfare for two to San Francisco (from anywhere in continental U.S.)
- Two nights at the Villagio Hotel and Spa in Yountville, CA
- Car service to and from the airport
- Dinner for two at Thomas Keller's Bouchon in Yountville
- A hot-air balloon ride for two over Napa Valley
- Dinner for two with owner Cory Wagner and ultra-rare selections from the Last Bottle private cellar
The entry form, odds of winning, and official rules can be found at the website.
Last Bottle customers generally pay 40 to 70 percent less than buying from other online merchants. Customers receive credits for each purchase, for referring friends who purchase, and $25 for buying the "last bottle" of any particular lot.
Don’t forget your camera as you head outdoors. The National Natural Landmarks program annual photo contest is open and accepting entries. For the 50th anniversary of the program, the National Park Service is looking for images that capture the beauty and diversity of these natural areas.
Winning photographs will be featured in the 2013 National Natural Landmarks calendar. Contest entries will be accepted through June 30, 2012. Winners will be announced in September.
Each photographer can submit up to three entries. There are no restrictions on the date of a photograph but consider that old slides and prints often lose their quality over time.
Each photograph must be from a different national natural landmark. Images of the 13 sites featured in the 2012 calendar will not be accepted. Those winning photos can be viewed here.
There are nearly 600 national natural landmarks nationwide representing natural features from dinosaur tracks and fossils at the Morrison-Golden Fossil Areas, CO, to bioluminescent waters at Puerto Mosquito, Puerto Rico to the largest impact crater known in the United States at Barringer Meteor Crater, AZ.
National natural landmarks include features on private, state, municipal, and federal lands. Program participation is voluntary and not all landmark sites are open to the public.
National natural landmarks are designated by the Secretary of the Interior following rigorous scientific study. The National Natural Landmarks Program is managed by the National Park Service and recognizes significant examples of biological and geological features and supports the cooperative conservation of these important examples of America’s natural heritage.
Full contest information and submission requirements for the contest are online, please visit
Click here for a complete list of designated sites of the National Natural Landmarks Program and their accessibility information.
|Had a good experience on a plane recently? Stumbled across the perfect place to stay, eat or
drink? Tell us about it, email us here.
PLEASE NOTE: All links
are sent as clickable links. Some email programs such as AOL, Yahoo,
& Hotmail change the links so that they are not clickable. If you
have problems clicking on a link, just copy and paste the link into
|Cheap Tix Chart
-- Buy Tickets at a Discount -- Special ticket outlets sell discounted day-of-performance tickets to theater productions, films, and sporting events. Discounts can be 50 percent or more. On The Go Publishings
Cheap Tix Chart, still only $14, lists outlets in the U.S. and eight foreign cities that sell discounted, day-of-performance tickets. Click here
to order the Cheap Tix Chart from On The Go Publishing.
| CURE & CLEAN NATURALLY -- Throw out your harmful toxic disinfectants, cleaners, bleaches and insecticides! Cure and clean with the world's
safest all-natural sanitizer, Hydrogen Peroxide. You don't need to spend a fortune on fancy store-bought preparations with their secret ingredient that turns out to be Hydrogen Peroxide. Get more than 30
powerful recipes using Hydrogen Peroxide as a foot soak, cold and flu killer, plant protector, and pet purgative for only $2. To order, send an email to: email@example.com with Order Hydrogen Peroxide Cure in
Free Fun San Diego -- This savings-packed FREE brochure features almost 40 Fun, Fr-ee Things to do in San Diego. When heading to Southern California, attend concerts or visit a State
Historic Park and keep that cash in your pocket.
To get your Fr-ee Fun San Diego brochure, for a $1 handling fee, click
here to send us an email.
|Face-It Luggage Tags -- Your Face on Your Luggage There's no mistaking your luggage with the Face-It Luggage Tag. The durable, laminated tag
displays your face and the phrase `This Face Belongs With This Luggage.`
A Face-It Luggage tag makes it less likely for a stranger or thief to walk off with your luggage and helps you recognize your luggage at a glance in hotels or airports. Face-It Tags are also available for
briefcases, portfolio books, backpacks, sporting equipment, musical instruments, bicycles and more. Face-It Luggage Tags.
MIRACLE PRODUCT -- in today's computerized world, we're still using
a product discovered by chance more than 10,000 years ago -- VINEGAR!!
Throw out toxic cleaners and insecticides that pollute! Save money and
save the environment by using vinegar, one of the worlds safest
all-natural products. Get more than 150 powerful recipes using vinegar
for cooking, health care, gardening, pet care and household uses for
only $4. To order, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Order
Vinegar Care in subject line.
The Travel Savings Alerts
Newsletter, P.O. Box 91033, Columbus OH 43209, edited by Nicki
Chodnoff, is published monthly.
Tell Travel Savings Alerts Newsletter readers about your products and
here for rates and information.